How to format the SD card as the internal storage?

As you may know that, Android 6 introduces a new moving "apps to SD" feature (adoptable storage, refer to #4 below) and abandon the original solution of moving apps to portable external storage.

If you are using an Android 6 or greater device, you have to format the SD card as internal storage for moving apps. It's required by Android.

You can do that by following the instructions below:

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on Marshmallow?
1. Go to the device "Settings" > select "Storage".
2. Select your SD Card > tap the three-dot menu on top-right corner > and select "Settings" (or "Storage settings") from there.
3. Select Format as internal (not Format or Format as portable storage) > and then "Erase & Format" on the next screen.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot phone. This is very important; otherwise, you may end up frustrated with issues like MTP not showing SD card, some apps not working properly, etc.

For more help, please read FAQ 10 by going to: AppMgr > Settings > About > FAQ

PS #1: If you don't see the "Format as internal" option from your device, please visit http://bit.ly/2CtZHb2 for how to enable it. This works for most Samsung/Huawei devices. For Samsung devices, please visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y68EZlCW70E For Xiaomi/Redmi devices, please visit https://www.iblogtren.com/2019/08/how-to-make-microsd-as-internal-memory.html

PS #2: If PS #1 does not help, please visit one of the following sites to use adb (#5) command to enable the "Format as internal" option. This works for most ASUS, LG, Sony devices.

PS #3: If both PS #1 and #2 do not help, it means that your device removes the function of moving apps to SD from Android so the moving apps function cannot be supported. Please read FAQ 9 from http://android.a0soft.com/?url=App2SD.htm for details. The only solution is users asking for manufacturer to release an app2sd enabled ROM as Samsung did for S4 users. For details, please read http://bit.ly/2T4q10S

Get help from your device manufacturer & mobile carrier, please visit https://support.google.com/android/answer/3094742

PS #4: Adoptable Storage: All You Need to Know https://www.tigermobiles.com/2016/04/adoptable-storage-need-know/

PS #5: For how to install and run adb, please visit How to run ADB on your laptop?

Comments

  1. How about honor 4x android 5.1.1 , how to move my apps.. pls help me tnx a lot...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This article is only used for Android 6+. For your devices, please install AppMgr to see if you can move apps. If not, it means that your device removes the function of moving apps to SD from Android so the moving apps function cannot be supported. Please read FAQ 9 from http://android.a0soft.com/?url=App2SD.htm. The only solution is asking for the manufacturer to release an app2sd enabled ROM as Samsung did for S4 users. For details, please read http://bit.ly/2T4q10S

      Delete
  2. How can I verify if my SD-card is (already)formatted as internal storage?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, first thank you for your help AZSoftInc with this complicated and completely unnecessary issue of using adoptable storage. It has with me along with likely thousands if not millions of other people caused huge problems, and all sorts of unnecessary things to do for no reason I know of.

    I followed the instructions under the Samsung video AZSoftInc posted about the adoptable story issue, followed the instructions in the video and though it doesn't appear that it got moved on the main storage available screens, as instructed in the video when you go down to ADVANCED it does in fact show it as having plenty of available memory brought over from the SD Card.. However, I was virtually out of internal memory before I started using the SD card as adoptable storage, and now that it appears to have moved successfully and a giant amount of storage seems available, but only seen on the ADVANCED storage screen, if I try to do anything, even receive a text message I'm still getting errors that say NO AVAILABLE MEMORY.

    Reading in another forum someone said they had uninstalled several programs then reinstalled them and that solved his problem so I tried uninstalling one of my largest programs on the original internal memory, then tried to reinstall it and again it says NO AVAILABLE MEMORY even though it was installed & working 2 minutes prior, which makes this even more confusing.
    When I followed the video instructions he showed an optional ADB function that would allow you to keep a percentage of your physical SD card available as SD Storage, so I did that and kept 30% of my 250 GB SD card available, and converted the rest to adoptable storage. So I don't know if that's causing the problem or not. When I open the storage settings, then the advanced options, I now see Internal Memory and SD Card in one block with lots of available memory from my 250 GB card, then there's a second block that also says SD card, that shows the 30% of held out on the card.

    Also tried using one of my favorite apps for as long as I can remember, which is APPS2SD published by AZSoftInc to see if it would allow me to move apps from internal storage to the SD card, but before I did, I dismounted the 30% of storage available on the physical SD card so it wouldn't show up, though the adoptable SD card does show up and I thought the APPS2SD app would get confused on which SD card to use. I chose a large app from internal memory clicked on storage and the SD card option showed up even though the physical SD card is dismounted, so I thought I was getting somewhere and said to move the app from Internal to SD Card. Unfortunately it returned the error NO AVAILABLE MEMORY.

    So I'm now at a total loss of what to do. Using adoptable storage seems to have worked, even though converting it through the phone settings was not an option on my Samsung Galaxy a21 phone, hence why I had to use the recommended video.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW, in the video recommended, the producer of the video included instructions on how to undo moving to adoptable storage, so I didn't know if doing that and NOT allocating 30% to remain as a partition would fix the problem or not. It seems like the video publisher wouldn't have shown that if it would be a problem, but I really don't know and would definitely appreciate any help or advice anyone has since this has caused me a problem for the last couple of months since I bought the new phone, and ran out of storage to install apps, or worse I had to uninstall apps before I could even use the phone, but they're apps I need to reinstall and now can't. Thanks in advance...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to follow this blog post, but it seems that I have to post something before I can have the option of receiving notifications.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How does make SD as internal memory in Motorola Moto g31 (w)?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My device does not have the "Change" button for moving apps!

How to grant the WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS permission to the Big Font app?